Thursday, December 29, 2011

Turkey Assulted with Sushi Mat! News at 11.

Whenever I go home for the holidays the topic of conversation inevitably turns to food.  I made it known that I'm fond of sushi.  Dad said "yuk".  I asked him when the last time he ever had sushi was.  His reply? "Never".  I think many people carry an aversion to sushi without ever trying it because they associate it with being  raw fish.  It MAY be raw fish but it certainly doesn't limit what can be done.  I can't make anyone like something they are set against and unwilling to try.  That exchange got me thinking.  I really enjoy the simple and subtle flavors of traditional Japanese sushi, but that isn't all I like about it.  I also like to experience the ritual of sushi which to me is sharing artfully arranged mouthfuls of delicious simple food.  
Gobble Gobble Roll, with Miso Soup
If there is one thing I want to do in my life it is to introduce people to food and cuisines I find wondrous.  Introducing the Gobble Gobble roll V1.0. I know my Dad and I both share a love for traditional turkey dinner. What about a doing a sushi riff on turkey dinner?  This isn't production quality yet, but was a fun concept to play around with. 

SHARI
Sushi Rice:
2 C Arborio Rice, rinsed until water runs clear
2 C Cold water
2 T Rice vinegar
2 T Sugar
1/2 t Salt
~ Prepare on stove top.  Season the rice at the last minute before making the rolls.

NETA
Roast Turkey Breast:
cut, 1/4 square sticks with grain
Roasted Parsnips:
2 Whole Parsnips (peeled, cut battonet)
2 T Sesame oil
1/2 t Ground sage
1/2 t Dry Rosemary (crushed)
1/2 t Kosher Salt
1/4 t Ground black pepper
~ Combine above ingredients in a bowl, mixing to coat evenly.  Transfer to baking sheet.  Roast at 350F til soft.
 Red Bell Pepper pickles:
2 Whole Sweet red bell pepper (cut julienne)
1/2 t Alder smoked salt
1 t Brown sugar
1 t White wine vinegar
1 t Dried basil (crushed)
~ Combine above ingredients in a bowl, mixing to coat evenly.  Cover and refrigerate til ready to assemble.
Fresh Basil
~cut, chiffonade

ASSEMBLY
Toasted sesame seeds
Nori (2/3 of whole sheet)

PLATING
Teriyaki glaze:
~Kikkoman brand
Cranberry Chutney:
~pureed and strained, (Separate recipe post)

Tasting notes:
OK, but not great.  Maybe a little weird.
Re Shari: 
  • Not happy with the bite of the rice vinegar.  Maybe Umeboshi vinegar instead?
  • Arborio rice worked well for texture but a seasoned poultry stock instead of the water/vinegar mix might bridge inharmonious flavor differences. 
  • The sweetness of the rice stands in nice opposition to the bitter notes of the nori and parsnips.  Perhaps brown sugar to refine it?  Maybe a hint of molasses?
  • This is the biggest flaw of the dish and needs the most improvement.  Would like to see something closer to "stuffing" in flavor.
Re Neta:
  • Turkey breast left over from Christmas dinner cooked by someone else was used.  Brining and classic roasting would enhance flavor profile. 
  • The Parsnips turned out well on their own but I'm unsure they are the correct vegetable choice.  It did complimented the nori nicely.  Maybe sweet potatoes?
Re Sauces:
  • Cran/Raspberry Chutney puree was good for flavor - but mixture needs to be thinned to ease plating.  Add salt TT.
  • Commercial Teriyaki baste/glaze.  Not quite right.  I'm thinking a pan Jus might be a nice breakaway alternative to bring harmony to the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment