Monday, January 16, 2017

Creamy Mac-N-Cheese (stovetop)

Creamy Mac-N-Cheese

Serves:  4 sides, (or 2 piggies).
You may want to eat the whole thing, but if you do I encourage you to seek psychological help.

INGREDIENTS A:

8 oz. dry pasta (I prefer penne over macaroni)
Water
1 tsp ksalt

INGREDIENTS B:

1 whole large egg (cracked)
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/4 tsp dry ground mustard
1 tsp Sriracha sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
pinch smoked paprika

INGREDIENTS C:

4 tbsp unsalted butter
4 oz. velveeta cut into cubes.

METHOD:

A: Par-cook pasta:  In 3 quart saucepan with lid add pasta.  Cover with enough water, dissolve salt, and bring to boil. Cook it until its a little more al-dente than you prefer to eat. I look for uniform color through the entire pasta shape. Underdone will still show a darker "core" when you look at it. Test it by tasting one. It should be FIRM but edible and not crunchy. Drain pasta in colander.  Keep empty saucepan hot for step C.  It will continue to cook in the next steps.

B: Prepare Liquids: In mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients until monochrome and slightly foamy.  Set aside.

C: Finish: Use the same pan from A (still hot):  Over low-med burner add butter, drained pasta, and Velveeta.  Stir to coat evenly, then add Mixture B.  Stir mixture to coat until smooth and creamy using saucepan lid to retain heat to melt Velveeta between stirs.  Taste and season salt & pepper to taste.  Can be held on low burner.

BLATHERING:

  In my very early adult life one of my standard mid-week meals was frozen fish sticks with "shells and cheese" and steamed broccoli.  While I've never developed a fondness for the powdered versions of Mac-N-Cheese, the brands with the "packet of goo" were my preferred favorite.  I liked their simplicity.  Boil some noodles and then squeeze the goo onto the hot noodles, stir, and serve.  Super easy and only one pan to clean.

  Then I learned methods for classic Bechamel (specifically it's derivative Mornay) in culinary school.  For a while I went off the deep end and with no small amount of zealotry insisted it was "the only way".  Thinking in extremes has been a pattern with me and with the advent of the new year it's time for me to recognize destructive patterns and set them aside.  This year I will forgive.  There is more than enough room at the table for more than one kind of Mac-N-Cheese.  There is certainly plenty of room in my belly.  Some may wince at the use of Velveeta and evaporated milk.  Others may twitch a little when they see it's not baked with a crispy crumby topping.  This is smooth, creamy, tangy, and comes together with minimal fuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment