Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Enchilada Pork-stuffed Peppers

Enchilada Pork-stuffed peppers
"Farce" is the French word for stuffing.  As you can probably tell from my blog, improvising a farce and stuffing seasonal vegetables is one of my favorite ways to turn humble ingredients into delightful and satisfying main dishes.  There are a few tricks to getting stuffed veggies to work.  The key is to cook or par-cook everything first, assemble them, and then cook it off when you are ready.  I like dishes like these because in the hot days of summer I can prep it all in the morning before the house heats up.  Then, come suppertime all I have to do is top it with a little cheese and warm it up.

These beautiful bell-peppers were split in half, cleaned, and then par-roasted with a little salt and pepper for about 10 min.  Then I cooled them completely in the refrigerator.  The farce is one of ground pork sausage (browned), enchilada sauce, sweet yellow onion, garlic, rice, and a whiff of cinnamon and clove.  Again, I cool the stuffing off completely before putting them all together.

I like them served with a side of crunchy chips and a dollop of cool guacamole.  The contrast in textures, spices, and hot/cool make it fun to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment