Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Oatmeal Deluxe

We have been studying various cereal grains in class.  As such I've been experiencing production for some things I have never made before.  Making grits, farro, and polenta are all fairly new to me but all of these products have been around for a while.  All grains to me are like a canvas... neutral flavors that serves as a textural backdrop for receiving flavors.

Today blog though I thought I would share one of MY favorite grains...rolled oats.  Many years ago I experimented with eating the Macrobiotic way.  During that period I learned how much MORE flavor you can get from rolled oats by toasting them.  It's been a few years and I've learned some other methods that bring me to this Deluxe version of the Oatmeal.  This recipe is for a single serving, but it can easily be scaled up to feed an army.  It takes more time than making "instant" oatmeal, but I can guarantee you, there is no "instant" oatmeal that tastes like this.


Ingredients:
1 - C milk (I use 2%)
1 - 1" piece cinnamon stick
3 - whole cloves
0.5 - C rolled steel-cut whole grain oats
pinch of salt
0.25 - C  fresh firm apple, cored and cut small dice (I like Fuji or Gala)
brown sugar to taste

Method:
  1. In a small saucepan combine milk, cinnamon stick, and cloves.  Over low heat and stirring occasionally, bring mixture to a scald.  This releases the oils in the cinnamon and clove and infuses the milk with subtle flavors.  There will be some milk-solids stuck to the bottom of the pan...this is normal and expected.  Remove cinnamon and cloves from the milk mixture.  Keep warm.
  2. Meanwhile, in another flat pan, add oats and place over medium heat.  As the pan comes to temperature swirl the dry oats around in the pan and toss them to toast.  The line between toasting and burnt is very narrow so close attention is necessary.  A nice nutty/toasty smell is how I gauge when it is done.  Remove them from the heat.
  3. Add toasted oats to hot milk mixture and stir in a pinch of salt.  Bring mixture just barely to boil then reduce heat to simmer and stir in the chopped apple (banana is good too).  Continue to simmer gently and stir occasionally until oatmeal is cooked.  I like my oatmeal quite thick.  Thin the mixture with milk or water to desired texture.
  4. Plate and top with a sprinkle of brown sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment